I find that when I visit other countries or cities I always like to know ahead of time if any shops will be open on the days I am there. Every country and city has its own traditions and peculiarities when it comes to shop opening hours, and Graz definitely has its own!
Thanks to Google maps it is nowadays not that hard to find out if a shop is open or not before you go there. And it is pretty cool that you can do it so easily. It spares a lot of headache if you have to travel far to get to the shop you want to go to!
In this blog post, however, I wanted to give a general overview of the shop opening hours in Graz. I think it might be helpful for people coming here to just have a place where all the information is written down clearly. At the same time it gives an overview of where to go shopping in Graz. I will go more into detail into shopping in Graz in another blog post.
So, without further ado, here is a general overview of the shop opening times in Graz:
Shop opening hours in the centre of Graz
Clothes shops and drugstores
The shops in the centre of Graz observe the following opening hours:
- Monday to Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday closed
- Big retail shops (like Zara, H&M…) are usually open until 7:00
- Name of drugstores in Austria: DM and Bipa
- Even the big department store Kastner und Öhler follows these opening times.
The couple of supermarkets in the city centre are usually open for longer than other shops during the week. However, on Saturday they always close at 6 p.m.
- Names of supermarkets: Spar, Billa, Lidl, Hofer, Denn’s Biomarkt, Merkur
- Monday to Friday from around 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday from around 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday closed (besides some exceptions – see below)
Opening hours of shopping centres in Graz
There are four big shopping centres in Graz and one just outside the city in Seiersberg (that is still worth mentioning):
Generally, they all have the same opening hours:
- Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday closed
- Supermarkets usually open earlier (around 7:30 a.m.) and stay open until 8:00 p.m.
Late-night and Sunday opening hours
A couple of Spar supermarkets around Graz have longer opening hours and are also open on Sunday. This can be handy once in a while!
Open on Sunday:
- Spar at the main train station: open Mo-Su from 6:00 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Spar in Puchstraße (Puntigam): open Mo-Su from 5:00 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Spar at the airport: open Mo-Su from 5:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Any tank station shop
Open for longer during the week:
- Spar in Lendplatz: open Mo-Fr from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. – Sat until 6:00 p.m.
- Spar in Hans-Sach Gasse (dead centre): open Mo-Fr from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. – Sat until 6:00 p.m.
Small vocabulary lesson
- Open = geöffnet / offen
- Closed = geschlossen
- Shop = Geschäft
- Supermarket = Supermarkt
- Drugstore = Drogerie / Drogeriemarkt
- Shopping = Shopping / Einkaufen
- To pay = zahlen
- in cash = bar
- by card = mit Bankomatkarte
- Shopping bag = (Einkaufs-)tasche
- Opening hours = Öffnungszeiten
- How much does it cost? = Wie viel kostet das?